ERVAD RAMIYAR PARVEZ KARANJIA
Dastur Kotval (l.) und Ramiyar Pervez Karanjia (r.)
DATE OF BIRTH: 19th APRIL, 1965.
1985 Bachelor of Arts(B.A.) in Avesta-Pahlavi, University of Bombay.
1987 Master of Arts(M.A.) in Avesta-Pahlavi, University of Bombay.
1994 Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Avesta-Pahlavi awarded by University of Bombay for the Thesis "Scientific Allusions in the Videvdat - A Critical Study" uder Dastur Dr. K.M.JamaspAsa.
Full-fledged Zoroastrian priest having studied scriptures, rituals and religion at Athornan Boarding Madressa, Dadar from 1974-1980.
Languages known : Avesta, Middle Persian (Pahlavi), Old Persian, English, Gujrati, Hindi, Marathi.
FIRST in Avesta-Pahlavi in S.S.C., Pune Board.
FIRST in over-all aggregate in H.S.C., Khalsa College.
FIRST in Avesta-Pahlavi in B.A., University of Bombay.
THIRD in over-all aggregate in B.A., University of Bombay.
FIRSTin Avesta-Pahlavi in M.A., University of Bombay.
FIRST in all the years of graduation and post-graduation, St.Xavier's College.
Wenner Gren Foundation and Uppsala University, Sweden, awarded him a fellowship as a visiting scientist to do post-doctoral research work, October - December 1999.
Invited to work with the Group on Zoroastrian Ritual at Heidelberg University, Germany, April - June 2002
MEDALS & SCHOLARSHIPS:
* Dastur Sanjana GOLD MEDAL for standing first in Avesta-Pahlavi in B.A.
* F.K.Parakh GOLD MEDAL for standing first in Avesta-Pahlavi in M.A.
* St.Xavier Jubilee SILVER MEDAL for standing first in M.A. in St.Xavier's College.
* J.A.Wadia and H.C.Tyabji Scholarships from St.Xavier's College.
* F.S.Bhavnagri, P.M.Jijibhoy, The Lotus Foundation, J.N.Petit and the Bombay University Merit Scholarships from University of Bombay.
Discourse classes in Zoroastrian religion for children and Youth:
* Mancherji Joshi Parsi Colony, Dadar (since 1982)
* D.P.Y.A.High School 1983-89)
* Rustom Baug, Byculla (1983-85)
* Gamadia Colony, Tardeo (1983-85)
* Girton High School (1990-1994
* Honorary Teacher, the D.P.Y.A. High School and the B.J.P.C. Institute since 1985.
* LECTURER in Avesta-Pahlavi, Sir J.J.Z. and Mullan Firoze Madressa since 1985.
* HONORARY LECTURER in Avesta Pahlavi, St.Xavier's College since 1987.
* Teacher of Avestan language, Zoroastrian Religion, Iranian History and Rituals, Athornan Madressa, Dadar since 1985.
* TEACHER for English and ritual texts at Athornan Madressa, Dadar, 1985-1989.
* JOINT-PRINCIPAL at Athornan Madressa, Dadar, 1989-95.
* PRINCIPAL of Athornan Madressa, Dadar, since March 1995.
* PRINCIPAL of Sir J.J.Z. and Mullan Firoze Madressa since 1999.
CONFERENCES, SEMINARS ETC.:
Invited to present papers/participate in panel discussions at:
* FIRST ALL INDIA PARSI YOUTH SEMINAR, New Delhi, October 1987.
* FIRST INTERNATIONAL ORIENTAL CONGRESS, Bombay, January 1989.
* PARSI FESTIVAL, New Delhi, March 1989.
* FIFTH WORLD ZOROASTRIAN CONGRESS, Bombay, January 1990.
* FOURTH ALL INDIA PARSI YOUTH SEMINAR, Hyderabad, October 1990.
* PARLIAMENT OF WORLD RELIGIONS, Chicago, September 1993.
* FIRST WORLD ZOROASTRIAN YOUTH CONGRESS, Los Angeles, Sept.1993.
* SIXTH NORTH AMERICAN ZOROASTRIAN YOUTH CONGRESS, Chicago 1994.
* EIGHTH ALL INDIA PARSI YOUTH SEMINAR, Ahmednagar, November 1994.
* SECOND INTERNATIONAL INDO-IRANIAN CONGRESS, Bombay, January 1995.
* SIXTH WORLD ZOROASTRIAN CONGRESS, Tehran, June 1996.
* TENTH ALL INDIA PARSI YOUTH SEMINAR, Mumabi, November 1996.
* NATIONAL SEMINAR OF UNVERSITY OF BOMBAY, February 1997.
* SECOND WORLD ZOROASTRIAN YOUTH CONGRESS, London, July.1997.
* ELEVENTH ALL INDIA PARSI YOUTH SEMINAR, Baroda, November 1997.
* SECOND INTERNATIONAL INDO-IRANIAN CONGRESS, Bombay, January 2000.
* SECOND ALLIANCE FOR RELIGION & CONSERVATION CONVENTION, Kathmandu, November 2000.
* SYMPOSIUM AT HEIDELBERG UNIVERSITY, Germany, April 2002.
* ALLIANCE FOR RELIGION & CONSERVATION PRESENTATION, London, November 2002.
PAPERS & ARTICLES:
1) "Life and teachings of the great Sasanian sage Adarbad Mahraspand."
- Article published in Journal at the IV All India Youth Seminar, Hyderabad, 1990.
2) Methodology of Religious Education for pre and post Navjot Groups
- Paper presented at the 5th Word Zoroastrian Congress, Bombay, 1990.
3) "Avesta 'vinAthayen' - VidevdAd 3.20; 9.49"
- Paper presented at the 35th All India Oriental Conference, Hardwar, 1990.
4) "The Tao and Asha - A study in comparison."
- Article published in Platinum Jubilee Volume of K.R.Cama Oriental Institute, 1991.
5) "The significance of star Srius in ancient cultures with special reference to Zoroastrianism."
- A prize winning Article in Platinum Jubilee Souvenir of K.R.Cama Oriental Institute, 1991.
6) Various facets of the Water divinity Avan Aredvi Sura
- Article published in Baroda Fire-temple Celebrations Volume, 1991.
7) "Asha - Pathway to a Zoroastrian Life."
- Paper read at the Centenary of Parliament of World Religions, Chicago, 1994.
8) "Evolution versus Creation in Zoroastrianism."
- Paper read at the VI North American Youth Seminar, Chicago, 1995.
9) "The teaching and learning of Avesta script - Past and present."
- Paper read at the II International Indo-Iranian Congress, Bombay, 1995.
10) "Avesta 'Baodhangh'"
- Article published in the Souvenir of II International Indo-Iranian Congress, Bombay, 1995.
11) "Contribution of Parsis towards the scientific study and understanding of Indo-Iranian language between the period 1820-1920".
- Paper read at the National Seminar organised by University of Bombay, 1997.
12) "Exclusivity - The prime strategy for survival of Parsis in the 21st century".
- Paper read at the II International Zoroastrian Youth Congress, London, 1997.
13) "Horse, Camel & Rooster in Avesta scriptures and later Zoroastrian traditions"
- Paper read at the National Seminar organised by University of Bombay, Sanskrit Dept., 1998.
14) An ideal Priest According to Zoroastrian Religion
- Article published in the Anjuman Atashbehram centenary Volume, 1997.
15) Education - A Zoroastrian Perspective
- Talk delivered at the invitation of SACRE (Standing Advisory Committee for Religious Education) of the Borough of Redbridge, London, October 1999.
16) Notes on the Baj-dharna ritual
- Paper read at the III International Indo-Iranian Congress, Bombay, 2000.
17) Barsom in the Baj-dharna (Yasht-i-dron) ritual
Paper presented for Hultgard Festschrift, Jan 2002
18) The Baj-dharna (Dron Yašt) and its Place in Zoroastrian Rituals
Symposium in Heidelberg, Germany, April 02
WORKSHOPS, COURSES & LECTURES:
* Two day workshop on Zoroastrian Religion & Iranian History at RUSTOM BAUG ASSOCIATION, Bombay, May 1993.
* Conducting lectures every year on Zoroastrian Religion at HOLIDAY PROGRAMME FOR YOUTH, Bombay, since 1987.
* Conducting courses on Zoroastrian Religion at ELEMENTARY, INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED LEVELS as part of the COURSE ON WORLD RELIGIONS at K.R.Cama Oriental Institute Bombay, January & September 1996.
* Invited to give TALKS ON ZOROASTRIAN RELIGION & IRANIAN HISTORY at various places in India (Ahmednagar, Bangalore, Baroda, Bharuch, Delhi, Devlali, Hyderabad, Navsari etc.) since 1987, U.S.A.(1993,1994), Canada (1994) and London (1996).
* On the panel of Lecturers for the Zartoshty Brothers Fund for Religious Education.
* Lectured to Graduate and Post-graduate students and conducted Seminars for Doctoral Students at Uppsala University, Sweden, October-December 1999.
* Member of Managing Committee of 1) Society for Promotion of Zoroastrian Religious Knowledge and 2) Zatoshty Brothers Fund for Promotion of Religious Education.
*Trustee of Save Dungerwadi and Community Foundation; Traditional ZarthushtiTrust
* On the Governing Body of K.R.Cama Oriental Institute.
* "Serialised Stories from the Iranian Epic SHAHNAMEH - Peshdad", October, 1996.
* First ever Kadimi Khordeh Avesta in English transcription, July 1998.
* "Outlines of Parsi History, Zoroastrian Religion and Iranian Art, (Condensed and restructured version of Dasturji Dr.H.K.Mirza's book "Outlines of Parsi History"), December 1998.
* "Outlines of Religious scriptures (Avesta)", (English translation of the Gujarati book 'Jarthoshti dharma-sahitya ni ruprekha' by K.M.Dastur, Febraury 1999.
* "Serialised Stories from the Iranian Epic SHAHNAMEH - Kayan", August, 1999.
* "A Treasury of Zoroastrian Quotations" (Expanded and restructured version of Dr.Sir Jivanji Modi's book 'Moral Extracts…'), March 2002.